When I was making my menu for this week, I felt inspired to try something new. I found a recipe for stuffed peppers which looked pretty tasty, but I wanted to make it vegan and I ended up tweaking and changing it quite a lot!
I love to try new things in the kitchen, but don’t always have the energy or desire after a long day of work! This meal turned out to be just perfect for a work night. It came together pretty quickly, tasted delicious, and didn’t require too much clean-up! (Big bonus!!) So here it is:
- 6 large bell peppers (any color is fine, I like the red)
- 2 C. Quinoa – Soaked (1-8 hours to remove bitterness)
- 1 Can Chopped Green Chili Peppers (Next time, I will use two cans)
- 1 C. Corn
- 1 Can Black Beans – drained
- 3/4 – 1 C. chopped tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes)
- 2 Tbsp. Cilantro – chopped (I would also put a bit more of this in next time, but my dad is visiting this week and doesn’t care for it much!)
- 1 C. Kale – finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- Salt to Taste
- 1/2 C. Vegan Cheese Sauce (I had some leftover from trying a new recipe over the weekend. It has a surprising list of ingredients, but tastes quite delicious! You can find the recipe here: http://www.veggieonapenny.com/vegan-cheese/
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain Quinoa after it has soaked and put it in a small saucepan with 1 C. water. Cook over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
- While it is cooking, Chop the tomatoes, Kale and Cilantro
- In a large bowl mix all of the ingredients, adding the quinoa after it has cooked.
- Cut the tops off the peppers and remove the seeds with a spoon.
- Prepare your baking dish by covering the bottom with a shallow layer of water.
- Remove the tops from the peppers, remove the seeds with a spoon, stuff them, put the tops back on, then place them in the baking dish.
- Bake for about 30 minutes